About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Saturday 21 September 2013

Moving forwards

Earlier this week following my disappointing colonoscopy, I managed to get one of those rare things, A same day GP appointment. I don't quite know how I managed it? I wasn't on the phone constantly pressing redial at 8am when the lines opened, instead I called about 9.10, when we got back from dropping Isaac at school and was able to get an appointment for later that morning.

Please don't hate me.

Why did I feel the need to go back to the GP? Well, I weighed myself again & was shocked to say the least, ready for it??

58.4kg, that's under 9.5stone, that definitely makes me underweight. It means I've lost about a stone in the last 6 weeks. This shouldn't have happened, I've been eating better - jacket potatoes, salad, soup, chilli, tuna and lots of fruit - plums, apples, pears, melon, grapes, bananas.

When I walked into the GP's room he took one look at me and made me stand on the scales. Finally someone agreed with me.

'There is definitely a problem he said.

We talked some more about my bowel issues, the clear colonoscopy, the referral for an endoscopy.

He agrees with me that my body is not processing something. He kept mentioning malabsorption issues. I bought up the coeliac connection and he has agreed to test for it, alongside a plethora of other blood tests and stool samples.

So, my endoscopy letter came today, it's on Friday. Not sure whether to go for the local anaesthetic or the sedation again? I am inclined to go for sedation given the discomfort I experienced when having an NG tube inserted almost 2 years ago. 

Blood tests are also on Friday, it does take a couple of weeks for results, but hopefully we are moving towards some answers.


No comments:

Post a Comment