About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Tying up loose ends

The title of this blog is kids, KNITTING, and Guiding.

I talk a lot about the kids, I have talked about guiding, mostly I talk about cancer. But I don't talk much about the passion in my life, crafting, especially knitting, cross stitching and sewing.

B7E9849B-AB87-4423-BF85-73AC78B315DD


11 months ago I started watching a fantastic drama on BBC 1, Sunday evenings called Ripper Street. At the same time I started a new project for the ever expanding bump. Nothing fancy, a baby blanket. Both Isaac and Imogen had blankets knitted for them by my mum and called them their Grandma Blankets. The new baby would need a blanket and I had found the perfect pattern in one of those books you see in Garden Centres across the country.

I had bought the book, I had the wool left over from other projects, this wool came from my bobble cushions. Which incidentally I have finished, but still need to buy the foam to go inside, I must get round to that soon!!

Ripper Street gave me an hour each Sunday to sit and knit which should have been plenty of time, but unfortunately the back pain I started to suffer during pregnancy meant I was unable to sit for long periods of time.

By the time Hope was born I had completed all but 50 rows. I was on the finishing stretch, but 3 children and the absolute exhaustion just put all thoughts of knitting out of my mind. I religiously carted the project around. It came to my parents house and back, it went on scout camp but it never left the bag.

A couple of weeks ago, Ripper Street returned for a second series. Suddenly there was the motivation I required to complete the blanket. I could not let two series go without completing Hope's blanket.

There is also the added bonus that my pain is much more manageable now with the morphine, paracetamol, oromorph combo, so yesterday and last night I managed to get to within 5 rows of completing it. And this morning at 10.25 I finally finished Hope's 'grandma blanket'.

I am so proud of what I have achieved. Hope has her blanket and I have a new found love of knitting again, fuelled by simple projects which can be completed quickly and are portable.

So next up, something Imogen has been nagging for for a long time. A pink, purple and cream scarf.

Let's get casting on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment