About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Tuesday 17 December 2013

A very special quilt


Yesterday I went to what I thought was a normal grown up Christmas party. There was food, music, good friends, sober people (me & the other drivers), drunk people (people that had managed to arrange a lift) and a secret Santa.

So the time came for the secret Santa. I expect to be last at these kind of things, I was normally picked last at school for most things, and my name would never be picked for any of the extra curricular stuff. So it was no surprise when 'Santa's sack' was getting emptier & emptier and I was still presentless.

What I was not expecting was what happened next. 

I was given a card. There was a message inside from everyone there and then I was given the biggest present by far.

Inside was the most incredible, beautiful handmade quilt. It had been made by my amazing friends most of whom had not sewn since school days, I would imagine. Coordinated by the amazing Button Becky from her incredible stash of vintage and quirky, kitschy fabrics. 

I was speechless, again. Once again my coniving, devious friends have managed to reduce me to tears with their generosity of spirit, their thoughtfulness and the time that this must have taken. We're not talking people with amazing amounts of time on their hands. These are mothers, wives, people running households and errands for between 1 & 4 children. Juggling their lives, their husbands lives and their children's lives and they had made time in these lives to spend time making something for me. 

I am humbled by this. Words fail me (clearly not, seeing as I'm blogging about it!!) 

So to Carol, Sarah L, Sarah S, Becky, Debbie, Kathy, Karen, Charlotte, Emma, Alison, Rachel and Becky's neighbour who made my beautiful quilt thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

As you can see from the photo above the children and I love it, even Tony was blown away by your generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment