About this Blog

This blog started as an online diary and place for me to rant about annoyances in my family.

However since July it has become a place for me to catalogue and express my views and opinions on the treatment I have recieved following the diagnosis of a potentially cancerous tumor in my bowel.

On 3rd August 2011 I was told that it was cancerous. In April 2012 I was given the all clear.

October 15th 2013 I was diagnosed with peritoneal disease and liver metastases. The cancer was back and this time it is inoperable.

It is a little bit out of date as the NHS doesn't tend to have a WiFi connection in hospital and I can only post when I get home and posts take a while to write.

It is NOT about individuals or the nursing profession. It is about some of the inadequacies in the system and the way the NHS is failing some people.

For more inane ramblings, follow me on twitter

To see my crafty loves follow me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest

Why not like my new Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thepoohstickqueen" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">

Or follow my photographic craziness on instragram
Instagram

Thursday 8 May 2014

Becoming an animal

Things are not looking up.

What I thought was bloating is not bloating, but my tumour. Chemo has not worked, the tumour has grown and we can now see in my stomach is the cancer getting bigger. 

This means options are becoming more limited.

There is one more form of chemotherapy that my oncologist thinks I might be suitable for.  But here is the kicker, its not commonaly prescribed within the NHS and so my oncologist has to apply for funding for this treatment, which may be refused and so I couldn't have the treatment, or I would become one of those people you see on the local or national news, appealing to the NHS trust to try and obtain funding. 

Once that has been tried and seen if it works then I become a human guinea pig. This means phase one clinical trials. A phase one trial is the next stage once it has been through, I suppose, animal testing. Again my oncologist is hopeful that he has some colleagues locally (Guildford) that are conducting trials at the moment. But there is also the option to have treatment at the Royal Marsden. 

This also looks like it might entail some stays in hospital so that they can monitor the side effects and after effects of the treatments more effectively.

So 7 months down the line we are heading towards the end. However brutal that sounds its the honest truth. I have put my body through hell and back. I have spent 6 months having chemotherapy to no avail. 

Nothing has worked. How do I feel about that. How would you feel? How would you feel knowing that you had a time limit left? 

All I can do is live life to the full at the moment. 

So we have our trip to Legoland planned for half term and some more exciting opportunities coming up, all health dependant. 

And in the meantime I came across this BBC article. It makes me feel better knowing that if I get accepted onto a trial then although it might not save my life, hopefully it will save someone else's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment